[swift-users] Swift 1.0-beta7 released

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 11:45:35 CEST 2010

Hi all,
  We've just released beta7 of Swift at
http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0beta7/. The log of substantial
changes is fairly long:
Show popup notifications for incoming messages (and optionally,
presence changes) through Growl (Mac OS X), Snarl (Windows), or
FreeDesktop (Linux).
Acknowledge server receipt of sent messages (Demo).
Subsequent presence changes in the chat log are now combined to avoid clutter.
It's now possible to rename contacts and groups.
It's now possible to assign your contacts to groups.
It's now possible to cancel a login in progress.
Whether roster groups are expanded or collapsed is now persisted
between sessions.
Fixed a problem where multiple notices were selected when new ones were added.
The roster header will no longer show you with (No message) if you
specify a message when you go offline.
Contacts will no longer show as 'typing' if you go offline before
they've sent the message.
Fixed problems with the chat logs not properly scrolling to bottom.
Joining rooms when you are not plain 'available' now correctly sends
your status to the room.
Being in a MUC with someone who has their role changed will no longer
cause them to appear several times in the occupant list.
The Mac Dock icon has stopped jumping when it shouldn't.
System and Presence messages in chat windows are now linkified (as
well as chat messages, which were previously).
We now only show the system tray message icon for message events.
When reconnecting, we now try to reuse server-generated resources to
avoid having multiple resources connected for the same client.
We now detect when we should use chat state notifications.
Fixed a problem where MUC discovery would loop when searching a server
that has the same JID with different nodes.
The chat window now shows date changes.
Support creating new MUCs.
Display avatars for offline contacts.
Added "Clear" context menu for chat log.
Fixed a problem where the roster wasn't refreshed properly on reconnect.
Display the user's nickname at the top of the roster.
Fixed problems with certain LibXML versions failing on the vcard-temp namespace.
Various improvements for the Windows installer.
Fixed assorted memory leaks.

As always, testing and comments are appreciated.

/K