[swift-users] swift compile fails on Fedora 13

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Thu Apr 28 19:54:34 CEST 2011

Hi Matthew,

> Out of curiosity, since you have a fedora packager, is Swift/Swiften being
> submitted for inclusion into the Fedora repos?

As far as I know, swift is, but looking at
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=swift.git , Swiften isn't yet.

I know Jan (the Fedora packager) was pushing us to create a shared
swiften library a while ago. I added this to our build system
recently, but this probably wasn't adopted yet because there was no
concrete demand yet for 1.0. However, C++ shared libraries are always
a bit tricky to manage (as they're closely tied to the compiler and
compiler settings), so I'm not 100% sure if we don't need to do some
changes to Swiften to make this completely correct (although it did
seem to work for Swift). I think we'll need to work with third-party
Swiften users and packagers to check this flow and get it greased.

That said, creating a swiften-dev package with a static .a lib should
wor,k but then again probably has limited value without a .so package.

> since we're thinking of making Swiften a dependency for Xournal.

That would be great! ;-)

cheers,
Remko