[swift-users] swift compile fails on Fedora 13

Matthew Chan talcite at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 05:07:57 CEST 2011

Hi Remko,

Oh, I wasn't aware that Swiften wasn't available as a shared library. From
what I understand about fedora packaging policies (which closely mirror
other distros), I won't be able to have Xournal submitted for inclusion
unless swiften is available as a separately dynamically shared library.

That's ok though, because given the lead-time between our development
process of collaborative features and our stable releases to distros, I am
hoping that Swiften will be able to be included. Please let me know if
there's any information/testing I can give as a 3rd party Swiften user to
help move this process forward.

I think if you can provide Swiften as a shared lib in the repos, it will
gain popularity quickly. The other comprehensive C++ XMPP options available
are either extremely complicated (telepathy, libjingle) or not actively
maintained any more (gloox), and poorly documented (libpurple). I was quite
happy when I found Swiften and I do think that other devs requiring XMPP
features would be too.

Matt