[swift-users] How to join the chat swift at rooms.swift.im

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 14 10:48:01 CEST 2011

Hi Kevin,

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011 18:11:32 schrieb Kevin Smith:
> Once you are logged into your account, Actions->Enter Room:
> swift at rooms.swift.im.
>
> > Looks like I need to get an account, but I have no idea how
> > to do this with Swift? Wouldn't it be cool to be able to directly
> > connect without hassles to this chat once Swift has started?
>
> You would need an XMPP account, yes. We have previously assumed that
> most people coming to Swift will be users with existing XMPP accounts
> looking for a client (or it being rolled out across an enterprise with
> issued accounts, etc.).
>
> Is this wrong?

no, your assumption is correct.

I thought I would need an account on swift.im. :)
It did not occur to me that I could potentially use
any of my other XMPP accounts I have on other servers.
After reading up on XMPP I've learned that many servers can connect
to others. Some servers I use do no allow this and I've never tried
before, so thanks for answering my question and help me learn something
about XMPP. I had no experience with public multi-user chats
in this protocol before.

> Are we likely to see an increasing number of people
> wanting to use Swift for Swift's sake, rather than because they need a
> client? Should we provide a help page discussing how and where to get
> an account?

From my perspective it would have helped me, if http://swift.im/discussion/
mentioned something like: "We run a server with an open, public chat room at
swift.im, that you can connect to via the server your existing account, if
that servers has this feature enabled."

Best,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member