[swift-users] introduction, and bugs/wishlist/features

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 25 10:58:59 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Friday 25 April 2014 at 07:41:39, ghostlands at hush.com wrote:
> As for transparency, there is no substitute for it in the modern
> world of security.

yes, but there is always more work you can put in to be more transparent,
so there is a possible tradeoff to considered. That's all I'm saying. :)

> More eyes means more security. Making it difficult or awkward for the
> project to listen to mouths connected to eyes that see flaws means
> problems for the project/devs getting potentially useful or even
> crucial data.

True, though the eyes have to be competent, otherwise they require more effort
to reach the same quality (e.g. security) level compared to using the time
reading, testing or improving code.
I think we generally agree, I was just pointing out that there is a tradeoff
decision and as you write below, the time of the developers is most precious.

BTW: I would love the ability to flattr the swift-im development community
or the key developers. Is this possible? Remko, Kevin, if you register with
flattr.com I put you on my subscription.

> Also, AFAIK Github's code is FOSS, it's just the server access that
> you pay for if you need certain types of accounts. That has nothing
> to do with sources.

If it were the case, this would be very cool.
However I cannot find the server source codes and thus I cannot
check their licensing and see if it is Free Software.
Wikipedia and their website does not tell. This is consistent with
what I hear and remember. Please disprove. ;)

> In the end, things that discourage the devs simply won't work and
> this is the final and bottom line. These are just ideas, and
> arguments and encouragement for them. I hope they are taken
> positively and understood as having their origins in enthusiasm for
> Swift and the care it took to create it.

Yes, thanks for contributing to swift by giving your suggestions and comments,
Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner