[swift-users] sound control (Re: introduction, and bugs/wishlist/features)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 25 13:02:49 CEST 2014

Dear Genghis,

On Friday 25 April 2014 at 10:50:52, Genghis Khan wrote:
> After a rough search[0] I have found a Python-based project called
> Veromix whichh is available as a Plasmoid Script[1] in KDE and in GTK+,
> too, by the way. PulseAudio sound server must be installed, as it seems.

ah, this is a good hint
http://code.google.com/p/veromix-plasmoid/

> Please do report, on this mailing-list, of whether it does work for you.

I've tried the Debian Wheezy packages and a brief testing revealed
that it does provide application level sound countrol via a gtk+
application and Plasmoid .

Then I started to wonder why my swift-im on Debian does not play sounds
(without error messages). Turned out, QSound on qt4 still uses NAS only
and this (according to the documentation) will fail silently if it does not
work. I've filed a report with Debian.
Qt5 has a better QSound (guessing from the documentation), so there is no
direct action needed by swift-im developers.

Overall I believe your proposition is right:
Control of sound should be done by desktop environment
and this most likely works already (given your report about Windows
and my brief tests with Veromix) if the user gets configured.

Overall I also believe that even the way of messaging the user should be
configurable. Swift-im should only send a number of message types with text
and then the Desktop Environment should decide if this should be flashed,
messages boxed, sound played or whatever. This already works with Plasma and
and a number of applications. Check out the notification configuration
dialog.  Of course this does not solve all usability issues with it, because
ideally the user would want to configure the notifications from the swift-im
application, but override it then when configuring all notifications in the
Desktop Settings.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner