[swift-users] bugs/wishlist/features

ghostlands at hush.com ghostlands at hush.com
Sun Apr 27 03:17:45 CEST 2014

Genghis,

Yes, a simple solution could be to provide several different sound
files of different dB. In a way, that would be an elegant solution
considering all use and development factors. I had thought of that
myself, but wasn't sure it would be seen as legitimate, since it is
so simple.

I suppose that since the sound file is just sitting there in a
folder as a .wav, as a hack I can replace the sound file myself
with one I modify for lower dB. I'll probably do that as a quick
fix.

I personally do not like global controls for app behaviors, and
don't think such behavior is elegant. For instance, the fact that
Kopete only has proxy controls via the KDE control panel, which
seems to affect all KDE apps, is just stupid, though I suppose it
would be less so if the KDE sys settings offered more granularity.
Regardless, I still prefer each app to be as much of a lone actor
as possible, so that it doesn't matter how well or how badly the OS
or desktop environment is configured. This is, in fact, a crucial
consideration where portability is concerned.

I do understand that as a programmer with a set specialty and
interest, it becomes annoying to wrestle with features you have no
real passion for (or time to spend on). I think the dev of
BitMessage has these problems, burdened with GUI development and
maintenance when all they really want to work on, and all they
imagined budgeting for in the first place, is the protocol.

Remko,

"..., and that we make sure
the bugs entered in the system are usable for us when we get to
resolving them."

I see, so devs basically enter the bugs themselves as they
interpret them, when they think they are appropriate, as they are
gleaned from chat and mailing list. That diligence is certainly
reassuring. Still - it would be nice as a user to somehow get
notified of the bug # etc. so that I can follow development and ask
questions in a *time-relevant* fashion.

"We also hope that reporting through mail or the MUC is
easier for our users than having to deal with a bug tracker."

Actually, I've never found an easier bug tracking system than the
one Tor uses. There is a default public login that is provided. It
doesn't get more simple, or more immediate, than the way they do
it. Furthermore, as someone who does a fair amount of beta testing,
keeping an account at the bug tracking service is just part of due
diligence, and really isn't a big deal. I think it is part of the
spirit of the process ^_^

Looking at http://swift.im/git/swift, it looks like Gitorious,
which can provide fine bug tracking via issues:

https://gitorious.org/projects/gitorious/issues

If there was a published community login with restricted
privileges, that would make everything fixed, really. But anyway
I'll provide a list of other trackers for reference:

Gitorious (in case I'm wrong about Swift already using it)
Launchpad

Github: bizarrely, the only reference I could find was this thread
from *2008*:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/github/25JrfB0WRFc

They may have published by now, but the fact that it is really
difficult to find it in the first place seems problematic. I now do
not know where I found the info that made me think it was, though I
did check before I wrote that post the other day. Sorry about this
confusion.

Trac
Fossil -> Chisel
Redmine