Swift 2.0 Release Candidate
This is the first release candidate of Swift 2.0. If no critical bugs are reported, this will become the final release. A list of all prior and subsequent releases is also available.
There have been only bugfixes since 2.0beta2.
These are the changes since 1.0:
- Windows packages are now built in Microsoft Installer’s “.msi” format. Please
uninstall any older NSIS-based Swift packages before upgrading to this release.
- Suitable names will now be suggested from the contact’s vcard when adding/editing their roster entry.
- It is now possible for sysadmins to deploy files with policies for configuration options, such as
making it impossible for users to save passwords or to force sound notifications off, or to set defaults.
- Swift will now use appropriate algorithms when run on a Windows platform locked down in FIPS-140-2 mode.
- Our TLS provider has been changed to the platform-provided one (Schannel) on Windows,
allowing us to use certificates (both file and card-based) from the system store (CAPI).
- Added support for message receipts in one-to-one conversations (XEP-0184)
- Added support for several MUC operations (kicking, banning, invites, topic changes, room destruction,
changing participant affiliations, …)
- It is now possible to resize the font in the chat window conversations.
- Added support for message correction. Use ‘up’ to edit the previous message.
- A list of recent chats is now kept in the ‘Chats’ tab of the main window.
- Added support for server commands.
- Chat tabs with unread messages from several chats will now be a little more descriptive.
- Use a bar for showing where the last read messages in a chat are.
- Added support for SOCKS5 and HTTPConnect proxies. These settings are taken from the platform preferences.
- Retrieve incremental contact list on login on servers that support it (XEP-0237: Roster Versioning)
- Lots of bugfixes, performance fixes, and other changes
- Enable auto-completion of nicknames that don’t start with a letter.
- Generate crash dumps on Windows.
- Connection timeouts are now on each connection separately, instead of on the complete connection process.
- Don’t allow pressing
<Enter> in the roster to trigger logins.
- Don’t lose security labels when correcting a message.
- Don’t crash when completing user search without selection.
- Always auto join MUC with a consistent nickname.
swift binary to
swift-im on Linux.
- Avoid woosh down and woosh up on Mac when opening chat windows.
- Improved MUC invitation dialog.
- Fixed problem with displaying group names containing ‘&’ in the ‘Edit’ dialog.
- Show stream encryption status in header.
- Show extended certificate dialog when encryption errors occur.
- Don’t allow server command results to get interpreted as HTML.
- Additional connection settings (such as manual host setting, proxy configuration and BOSH) can now be specified through a new dialog on the login window.
Thanks to Tobias Markmann, Jan Kaluza, Thilo Cestonaro, Arnt Gulbrandsen, Vlad Voicu, Vitaly Takmazov,
Yoann Blein, Catalin Badea, Pavol Babincak, Mateusz Piekos, Alexey Melnikov and Soren Dreijer.
We currently have versions available for Windows and Mac:
- Windows: Installer Package (.msi)
Mac OS X (10.6+): Disk Image (.dmg)
To install on 10.8 (Mountain Lion) if you have the default security settings copy the application to /Applications as normal and then right-click on the Swift icon in /Applications in Finder and choose Open, otherwise OS X will block it.
To install and stay up to date with the latest beta release, you need to add
a set of the following APT lines (depending on your distribution) to the list of
Software Sources in Synaptic Package Manager:
Note: These packages require you to install our key in the Synaptic package
manager in the list of trusted sources. You can get our key
Lucid Lynx (10.04)
deb http://swift.im/packages/ubuntu/lucid beta main
deb-src http://swift.im/packages/ubuntu/lucid beta main
Maverick Meerkat (10.10) – Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)
deb http://swift.im/packages/ubuntu/maverick beta main
deb-src http://swift.im/packages/ubuntu/maverick beta main
Precise Pangolin (12.04)
deb http://swift.im/packages/ubuntu/precise beta main
deb-src http://swift.im/packages/ubuntu/precise beta main
Source Code: Tarball (.tar.gz)
For information about downloading and building the source code, see the