[swift-users] flattr micropayments (Re: introduction, and bugs/wishlist/features)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Apr 26 22:15:39 CEST 2014

Hi Remko,

Am Samstag, 26. April 2014, 14:08:29 schrieb Remko Tronçon:
> > BTW: I would love the ability to flattr the swift-im development
> > community or the key developers. Is this possible? Remko, Kevin, if
> > you register with flattr.com I put you on my subscription.
>
> We're delighted to hear that you want to Flattr us! We currently don't
> have this because we expect the money we would raise this way

it is not just only about the money, it is also about getting feedback
and a bit of visibility. Flattrs are a bit like likes with a litte bit of
money.

> wouldn't
> match the accountancy cost for dealing with the taxes involved. We
> could revisit this later if we're wrong, though.

There are two possibilities:
A private person runs the flattr account (which I believe would be
suitable), then I believe that you would deal with taxes only if you
withdraw money once a year or even less. If the amount is tiny, you could
just flattr others and thus get credits for your work.
A company runs the flattr, I think you just deduct your VAT and that's it.
At least with intevation voluntarily payments are not a hassle in
accounting.

But again, this is not about the money in the beginning, though it may
scale up one or two orders of magnitude somewhere in the future and then
is makes financial sense as well.

Thanks for having it considered and for making swift as Free Software!
Is there another way I can help you (with a small financial thing) do
swift-development?

Best,
Bernhard