[swift-users] problem tracking/transparancy (Re: bugs/wishlist/features)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 09:17:26 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:33 AM,  <ghostlands at hush.com> wrote:
> When users are disinterested in any kind of persistent
> attentiveness to the bugs they report, and prefer only immediate
> conversations, it places a kind of clerical burden on devs. This is
> not the best use of developer's time; they are best kept busy with
> actual engineering instead.
>
> The best "combo" option I can think of is simply to offer all
> options, and let users do what they want (you can't and shouldn't
> force any volunteer to do anything). However, encourage them and
> make it easy for them to take the action that creates the least
> work and best quality for all concerned.

All I can really say here is that we spent a number of years running
the Psi project, and our experience there was that the public bug
tracker was a drain on dev time while adding little or no value (and
that was in a project with more active people than Swift has), so
we're doing what we believe to be best for the project with Swift.
We're not likely to run an open-submission bug tracker unless things
change significantly in the project.

/K