[swift-users] Debian Stretch? (Re: Swift 4.0 RC5 released)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Feb 26 08:09:53 UTC 2018

Hello!

Am Donnerstag 11 Januar 2018 18:45:06 schrieb Tobias Markmann:
> Swift 4.0 RC5, hopefully our final release candidate
> for Swift 4.0.
>
> Feel free to grab the latest builds and tarballs from
> http://swift.im/releases.html

recently we moved our company app servers that server terminal servers
via X11 to Debian Stretch and now we miss Swift-im.

What are the chances for getting a Stretch packaging once 4.0 is released?
How far is the release away?

(What would we financially need to pledge to get a Debian Stretch package? :))

Tried running the appimage available from http://swift.im/releases.html
on a (naked, more server) Stretch machine. Below is some minor feedback,
hope it is useful somehow. :)

Thanks for creating Swift-im as Free Software!

Best luck with the renaming efforts! "Jolly Brisk!"  has a british touch to
it, but also sound a bit strange for an application name here.

Bernhard

== Minor feedback

You are offering the appimage via https, that is good!
https://swift.im/downloads/releases/swift-4.0rc5/Swift-4.0rc5.amd64.appimage
Idea for improvement: make the link go to https by default, so people do not
accidently download without TLS. Additionally offer an OpenPGP signature with
the appimage.

Had to install "fuse x11-tools glx-alternative-mesa libgl1-mesa-glx" to get
the appimage to run via X11. Then it gave the warnings below [1]. Probably
just artifacts of the appimage packaging. The appimage webpage was not helpful
in diagnosing which packages I had to install, so the whole idea stated on
the appimage website did not work for me.

The certificate dialog does not show the fingerprints of the cert (when
encountering an unfit certificate on jabber.gnupg.org).
Expected usage: showing sha1 and sha256 for manual checking.
It also does display the second DNS name, but does not recognise it.
Expected: should recognise cert as being fine.

The certificate details dialog and the main dialog where a little to small
regarding height and width, maybe this is due to the qt warnings and some
suboptimal fonts where used.

Because of the xkb problems I had no keyboard to type, so after connecting to
a server and joining a room, I've stopped testing.

The German translation seemed to be fine where I could read.

[1] Warnings console when running ./Swift-4.0rc5.amd64.appimage
as user on Debian GNU/Linux Stretch amd64 via ssh x-fowarding as user.

xkbcommon: ERROR: failed to add default include path /usr/share/X11/xkb
Qt: Failed to create XKB context!
Use QT_XKB_CONFIG_ROOT environmental variable to provide an additional search
path, add ':' as separator to provide several search paths and/or make sure
that XKB configuration data directory contains recent enough contents, to
update please see http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/ .
[warning] Swiften/TLS/OpenSSL/OpenSSLContextFactory.cpp:31
setDisconnectOnCardRemoval: Smart cards not supported for OpenSSL
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Swift::QtDynamicGridLayout "", which
already has a layout
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Swift::QtDynamicGridLayout "", which
already has a layout
libGL error: failed to open drm device: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
[warning] Swift/Controllers/Highlighting/HighlightManager.cpp:88
highlightConfigurationFromString: Failed to load highlight configuration.
Will use default configuration instead.