[swift-users] introduction, and bugs/wishlist/features

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Fri Apr 25 10:50:52 CEST 2014

Below, s respond to Bernhard Reiter in concern to Plasma panel of KDE.

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 05:41:39 +0000
ghostlands at hush.com wrote:

> AFAIK Windows has no per-app control of sound. I haven't run Vista
> or 8 much yet, so maybe it has been implemented there, but I feel
> comfortable in saying that elsewhere it does not exist natively in
> the OS.

There is native per-app control of sound since Microsoft Windows Vista,
which was the only thing I liked about it before migrating to GNU/Linux.

> In any case, even if it did exist it would be a bit of a hack :/

Why do you think so? I think that if such mixer is installed, by
default, on most operating systems, setting volume level of
per-application would feel like a normal thing, no?

Do you think that providing several sound files of different dB
(decibel) levels in Swift would be a good solution?

Dear Bernhard Reiter

After a rough search[0] I have found a Python-based project called
Veromix whichh is available as a Plasmoid Script[1] in KDE and in GTK+,
too, by the way. PulseAudio sound server must be installed, as it seems.

Please do report, on this mailing-list, of whether it does work for you.

[0] http://seeks.zat.im/search?q=per%20application%20volume%20control%20linux
[1] http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Veromix+-+volume+control+%2B+soundmenu?content=116676