[swift-users] introduction, and bugs/wishlist/features

ghostlands at hush.com ghostlands at hush.com
Fri Apr 25 07:41:39 CEST 2014

All,

Thanks for the replies!

I'm including/responding to Bernard's message because it had the
most commentary, but I'll begin in response to Genghis, re: Swift
local sound controls:

AFAIK Windows has no per-app control of sound. I haven't run Vista
or 8 much yet, so maybe it has been implemented there, but I feel
comfortable in saying that elsewhere it does not exist natively in
the OS. In any case, even if it did exist it would be a bit of a
hack :/

Bernard:

Thanks for expressing your use cases.

As for transparency, there is no substitute for it in the modern
world of security.

Things like throwing some privately developed/closed source free
OTR plugin at Miranda, one that for instance is downloaded without
even SSL or at the very least able to be compared to a trusted SHA1
CH from an SSL protected site, are utterly sloppy and therefore
insecure by today's standards. Swift is not closed source,
obviously, and neither is the internal bug reporting process. This
is all superb. But though the devs may be super-competent (writing
a book on XMPP is probably a good indicator), they only have so
much time and interest - time is really the key component. More
eyes means more security. Making it difficult or awkward for the
project to listen to mouths connected to eyes that see flaws means
problems for the project/devs getting potentially useful or even
crucial data. Sometimes, just a reminder is nice - several other IM
clients haven't even released emergency post-Heartbleed updates,
something I think Swift may not need but in any case, an example of
something very easy to do that devs might just space out on and
forget.

Also, AFAIK Github's code is FOSS, it's just the server access that
you pay for if you need certain types of accounts. That has nothing
to do with sources. It's still OSS, just not FOSS (and in many use
cases it is FOSS, they do offer free accounts).

As for bug tracking, there is always Launchpad and Trac. Both work
very well, I think Launchpad is better for larger projects, as it
was originally designed for Canonical to develop Ubuntu. They each
have a very different feel but they are both great environments.

Obviously, we have the mailing list and the chat room (though I
often can't get into the latter). The chat room is probably
terrible as far as referenceability and the mailing list is at the
very least awkward. Neither can be linked to, for instance.

In the end, things that discourage the devs simply won't work and
this is the final and bottom line. These are just ideas, and
arguments and encouragement for them. I hope they are taken
positively and understood as having their origins in enthusiasm for
Swift and the care it took to create it.

By the way Kevin, I couldn't tell if you were still working on Psi,
but it was one of the clients that needed updated openssl. I just
did it manually, but still.